Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sit Vis Vobiscum

(May the force be with you)

You know when someone says to you, “Illiud Latin dici non potest!” (“You can’t say that in Latin!”) and your usual response goes something like, “Huh?” (“Huh?”)
Ja, me too. Well, not anymore, thanks to Chris Kawalek at
http://www.rktekt.com/ck/LatSayings.php

For example:

Quid Fit?
(Wazzup?)

Vidistine nuper imagines moventes bonas?
(seen any good movies lately?)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
(How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?)

Quomodo cogis comas tuas sic videri?
(How do you get your hair to do that?)

Nihil est--in vita priore ego imperator Romanus fui.
(That's nothing--in a previous life I was a Roman Emperor.)

Tum podem extulit horridulum.
(you are talking kak)

In dentibus acticis frustrum magnum spinaciae habes.
(You have a big piece of spinach in your teeth.)

Credo nos in fluctu eodem esse.
(I think we're on the same wavelength.)

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
(In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.)

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.
(Bad kitty! Why don't you use the cat box? I put new litter in it.)

Gustatus similis pullus.
(Tastes like chicken)

Canis meus id comedit.
(my dog ate it)

Veni, vivid, volo in domum redire.
(I came, I saw, I want to go home)

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
(I can’t hear you. I have a banana in my ear)

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
(I think some people in togas are plotting against me)

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.
(Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.)

:-)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I'll be trying to confound some people I know...